Company: State of Oregon
Posted on: June 24, 2022
Initial Posting Date:
Department of Transportation
$4,607 - $7,082
Right of Way Agent 1 - Property Agent
Oregon Department of Transportation
Delivery & Operations Division - Engineering & Technical Services
Right of Way Section / Right of Way Property Management Unit
We are recruiting for a property agent to join our Engineering &
Technical Services Branch! In this role, you will manage and
liquidate our agency's excess surplus real property. Apply
This is a part-time position. The successful candidate may be
required to work 40 hours per week, based on the agency's business
We invite members of all diverse communities to join our workforce
as we endeavor to best serve Oregonians from every background. ODOT
values diversity and inclusion because they are good for Oregon. We
believe that by welcoming differences, encouraging new ideas and
views, listening to and learning from each other, and providing
opportunities for professional enrichment we are better able to
serve those around us. We thank you for considering this employment
Our first application screening is scheduled for 8 a.m. on Monday,
May 23, 2022. We encourage interested applicants not to delay in
applying. If you are a current State of Oregon employee, you must
apply through your employee Workday profile.
A day in the life:
* Manage an inventory of excess property files that are processed
through internal review for recommendations for either surplus
disposal (sale) or retention.
* Coordinate with senior property specialists or property
management supervisor on complex issues and marketing strategy.
* Research files, coordinate and make arrangements for surveys,
legal descriptions, appraisals, appraisal reviews and the testing
and clean-up of hazardous materials found on surplus property.
* Perform appraisals to determine fair market value of property as
well as lease/rental rates of property.
* Consult with the Department of Administrative Services,
Department of State Lands and the Federal Highway Administration to
seek all clearances necessary for the sale of a parcel.
* Request legal conveyance documents for the sale, lease, rental or
exchange of department owned real property to be created.
* Assist with periodic review of files needing adjustment of lease
rates (new rent studies) to assure compliance with terms and
* Identify potentially marketable property and update property
records in our information tracking system.
* Prepare specifications to be included in contracts for surveys,
appraisals and demolitions.
* Award contracts and assure all work is completed in compliance
with contract provisions.
* Remote work options available - work in an office environment
with occasional trips to the office required.
* Some overnight travel and a flexible work schedule is required -
varied starting and quitting times may be required to attend public
meetings, accommodate the needs of property owners or meet other
needs of the agency.
* Duties involve working in a variety of weather conditions and
terrain during property inspections.
* To request a copy of the position description, which includes all
duties and working conditions, please email
What's in it for you:
* Work/life balance, 11 paid holidays a year, flexible work
schedules, competitive benefits packages and so much more. Click
here to learn about working at the Oregon Department of
* Live, work and play in Salem, Oregon!
Want to know about new job postings? Click here to subscribe for
email notifications through GovDelivery!
What we need:
Three years of experience in any of the following areas: appraising
property for market value; acquiring real estate and managing
property transfer transactions; relocating displaced individuals
and businesses; managing property for a large or complex
organization; or managing transportation projects that involved the
purchase, sale or appraisal of property.
A bachelor's degree in business or public administration, forestry,
agriculture, civil engineering, geology, geography, real estate,
communications or related degree.
Driving is an essential function of this position. You must have a
valid driver license and an acceptable driving record. We will
conduct pre-employment driving records checks on our final
candidate(s). Your license does not have to be issued in Oregon to
What we'd like to see:
If you have these qualities, let us know! It's how we will choose
whom to move forward!
Note: You do not need to have all of these qualities to be eligible
for this position.
* Ability to self-manage a workload of sale, lease and rental
files, with technical assistance from a senior property specialist
or similar role.
* Experience participating in property management teams planning,
marketing and problem solving strategies.
* Technical background in general real estate practice and
standards, including title, appraisal, closing procedures,
financing, foreclosure, surveying and engineering.
* Ability to effectively collaborate and participate on teams that
include people with diverse backgrounds, beliefs, values and
How to apply:
* Before applying, click here to visit our applicant information
website to learn more about our process.
* Complete the following required steps:
* Attach a resume. Your resume must include dates (MM/YYYY) for
each employer. Please contact the recruiter under the 'Need help?'
section if you have any questions about how to attach a
* Attach a cover letter. Your cover letter should clearly
demonstrate how your experience and training relates to the
qualities that you have under the "what we'd like to see" section
* Your cover letter must be limited to no more than two (2)
* Please address your cover letter to John Boals, State Right of
* Generic cover letters and/or cover letters that do not address
the qualities that you have under the "what we'd like to see"
section may receive lower scores than those that addressed the
* If you are an external applicant, you must upload your cover
letter in the 'Resume/CV' section of the application.
* Complete questionnaire. Answer the checkbox-style questions
before submitting your application.
* After you submit your application, please respond to the public
records request authorization and gender identity questionnaire.
This screen will come after you submit and will complete the
process. If you are an employee, the tasks will come to your
* If you are a veteran, you may receive preference. Click here for
more information about veterans' preference. The task to claim
preference will come after the public records request and gender
identity questionnaire tasks. Click here for a guide on how to
upload your documents. For privacy reasons, please do not attach
your DD214/DD215/civil service preference letter to your
application or combine it with any other required document
* For questions, call 971-273-8687 or email
The fine print:
* This recruitment will remain open until filled. Our first
application screening is scheduled for 8 a.m. on Monday, 5/23/2022,
but we may close the announcement at any time after this date when
we have received an adequate number of applications. We cannot
guarantee that we will consider applications received after this
screening date. We encourage interested applicants not to delay in
* We may also use other factors to help us decide who will move
forward, such as transferable skills, experience, education, and
alignment with ODOT values.
* We do not offer visa sponsorship. If you are hired, you will be
required to fill out the US Department of Homeland Security's I-9
form confirming you are able to work in the US.
* Don't attach extra documents. We will only look at documents that
we ask for.
* We may use this recruitment to fill multiple or future
* We will conduct name-based criminal background checks on final
candidates, including current ODOT employees. All applicants may be
subject to additional pre-employment check(s) such as driver
license, LEDS (Law Enforcement Data System), and/or education
verification as required for the position.
* You will be represented by the Association of Engineering
Employees of Oregon (AEE).
Human Resources/Recruitment, MS12
355 Capitol St NE
Salem OR 97301-3871
ODOT is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action
Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion,
color, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation or
any other class protected by state or federal laws in admission or
access to our programs, services, activities, hiring, and
employment practices. Applicants with a disability may request a
reasonable accommodation during the application process. For
questions, concerns, or complaints regarding EEO/AA/ADA, contact
1-877-336-6368 (1-877-EEO-ODOT). This information can be made
available in an alternative format by contacting ODOT Recruitment
at 503-986-3700. Oregon Relay Service can be reached by calling
Keywords: State of Oregon, Salem , Property Agent, Sales , Salem, Oregon
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!