Assistant, Medical Bilingual
Posted on: January 22, 2023
Participates with the Health Care Team in delivering quality and
customer focused health care to patients in a manner that reflects
Kaiser Permanente's mission, vision and values. Provides clinical
and administrative support to clinicians and other health care team
members to offer a variety of health care services to patients.
Clinical duties involve both direct (in person) and indirect (via
phone or on-line) patient care activities requiring both simple to
complex clinical knowledge and skills. As appropriate to the
position's scope of authorized duties, the MA is expected to have
competent observational, clinical, critical thinking,
communication, problem-solving and decision-making skills in order
to meet patient needs and contribute to a positive care experience
and work environment. Works under the clinical supervision of the
clinician for patient care activities, and under the general
direction of the designated manager/supervisor.
- Clinical Tasks: These job tasks provide patient care & are to be
performed competently, consistently, accurately & according to
established regional/departmental clinical protocols, policies &
procedures & standards. They are:
- Prepares & organizes patient's office visit for known
reason/procedure by ensuring that all appropriate tests, clinical
information (e.g. diagnostic test results, consultation reports,
outside records, etc.) & order entries are ready for clinician
review prior to appointment time
- Collects pertinent subjective (e.g. signs & symptoms, allergies,
current medication, tobacco use, etc.) & objective (e.g. vital
signs, height, weight, etc.) data related to patient's reason for
visit (i.e. chief complaint, presenting symptoms or procedure).
- Utilizes standardized tools (e.g. PST, health maintenance alerts)
to identify & address health maintenance/care gaps with patient &
alerts clinician on those that require his/her attention.
- Recognizes signs & symptoms of common medical illnesses, abnormal
versus new/existing & reports to clinician. Alerts clinician on
signs & symptoms requiring immediate attention & respond to
directions per clinician
- Prepares patient for actual visit/procedure prior to clinician's
exam during rooming-in process.
- Assures exam/procedure room contains appropriate supplies,
equipment, forms & educational materials are available & ready for
use during visit/procedure. Checks equipment are in safe working
order & cleans room after use.
- Provides patient with after-visit, follow-up, self-care or
procedural instructions and/or educational materials as directed by
- Use KP HealthConnect & other information systems to document all
pertinent data & outcomes of patient care according to standardized
procedures & policies such as & not limited to the use of SBAR, KP
HealthConnect smarttools, etc. Updates demographic or historical
clinical data gathered in the electronic medical record.
- Clinical Procedures: Performs diagnostic tests, therapies &
procedures within scope of authorized duties competently & with
maintenance of proficiency according to: a) specific department
standards on core clinical tasks (see department's list of core
skills); b) application of knowledge & skills appropriate to
developmental age of patient & c) established policies such as &
not limited to patient safety, aseptic & sterile techniques &
infection control. Examples of categories of clinical tasks are as
- Screening tests - e.g. vital signs, vision, hearing,
developmental, LOPS, pain, etc.
- Diagnostic tests - e.g. urine dips, spirometry/peak flow, bladder
scan, finger sticks for glucose, O2 saturation rate, etc.
- Medication administration via oral, topical, otic, rectal,
vaginal, IM, SubQ, intradermal, ophthalmic, inhalation & nasal
- Wound care - e.g. routine dressing changes, staple/suture
removal, cleansing/flushing of wounds
- Application and/or removal of orthopedic appliances & other
devices - e.g. splints, slings, orthotics, cast, crutch mgmt,
anti-embolic stockings measurement, procedural safety restraints,
- Minor surgical procedures assist - e.g. biopsies, excisions,
insertion of devices, D & C, etc.
- Medical procedures assist - e,g. PAP, colonoscopies,
sigmoidoscopies, colposcopies, joint aspirations, etc.
- Lab specimens collection & labeling - e.g. nose, throat, wound,
application of U-bag, etc.
- Irrigations - e.g. eye, ear
- Instrument/equipment set-up, cleaning & processing (sterile &
non-sterile) - e.g. scopes, cryogun, O2 tank, procedural trays,
- Ambulate/transfer of patient using lift equipment.
- This job description is not all encompassing.
- Graduate of an accredited Medical Assistant program.
Licenses, Certifications, Registrations
- Basic Life Support (BLS) for healthcare providers within 30 days
- Employees must be able to successfully obtain Kaiser Permanente's
Medication Administration Competency Certification within 90 days
of employment as a Medical Assistant.
- Demonstrated interpersonal and customer service skills
(Assessment required for external candidates).
- Demonstrated communication (written and oral) skills.
- Demonstrated literacy in using computers and keyboarding.
- Skills in problem-solving, setting priorities and using good
judgment for decisions.
- Ability to work independently and efficiently under pressure.
- Final candidate must pass pre-employment language skill
assessment administered over the phone by Kaiser Permanente.
- Upon hire, must take the next available Kaiser Permanente
Qualified Bilingual Staff (QBS) training for continued
- One (1) to two (2) years in a medical assistant position to
assigned department's clinical area (e.g. Pediatrics, FP/IM,
OB/Gyn, Surgery, Dermatology, Neurology, Cardiology, etc.) within
an ambulatory care setting preferred.
- Current National Medical Assistant Certification preferred.
- Demonstrated clinical knowledge and procedural skills and/or
documented trainings in assigned department's clinical area within
the last one (1) to three (3) years preferred.
- Familiarity in documenting in an electronic medical record system
Job Category: Clinical Support
Keywords: Kaiser, Salem , Assistant, Medical Bilingual, Other , Monmouth, Oregon
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!