Union Organizer, Care Provider (Bilingual in Spanish Required)
Company: SEIU Local 503
Posted on: November 26, 2022
*General Description: *
With shared vision and purpose, we will drive organizational change
and effectiveness through a focus on staff and team development,
accountability, and equity and inclusion.
The principal role of field organizers is to support and facilitate
member leadership and action. Program responsibility for
organizing, communications, contract administration, union
administration, bargaining, political action, rank-and-file
leadership development and interaction with the membership to
further established union policy.
*Essential Functions & Responsibilities: *
- Organizing (internal and external); political action; training
and education; assist leaders/officers in the performance of their
- Preparation for and negotiation of collective bargaining
agreements; ratification of contracts; including work action
preparation and recruitment.
- Contract interpretation; grievance handling and preparation and
presentation of arbitration cases.
- Setting up communication systems (personal and telephone) for
distribution of information and materials for organizing,
bargaining, contract enforcement, and political action.
- Preparing printed materials for distribution to the membership
(leaflets, newsletters, etc.).
- Training members to interface with the media (newspapers,
television & radio).
- Internal and external organizing training, Union Steward
training, leadership training and development, political action
training, negotiations training, special workshops (retirement,
Workers' Comp, health & safety, discrimination, etc.), and
coordination of officer/leadership duties.
- Political action: door-to-door canvassing, phone banks, issue
campaigns, candidate campaigns, informing the membership on the
issues and candidates, targeting candidates, targeting precincts
for candidate races, voter registration, questionnaires and surveys
on candidates and issues; get-out-the-vote drives.
- Work to identify and develop leaders among homecare membership to
take on issues affecting them.
- Experience or background which demonstrates capabilities in
organizing, bargaining, contract administration, political action,
steward and leadership training and development, and a demonstrated
commitment to empower workers through the labor movement.
- Fluency (written and spoken) in English.
- Fluency (written and spoken) in Spanish
*Working Environment: *
--- Group 1 - Requires performing instant or sustained arduous
--- Group 2 - Requires occasional lifting and exertion for short
--- Group 3 - Very Limited Physical Exertion
Office and field work involving travel to all areas of the state -
sometimes with overnight stays - in a variety of environmental
conditions. The workweek is Monday through Friday plus weekend work
when specifically assigned. The workday may begin before and extend
beyond normal office hours depending on the demands of the
*Technology and Equipment: *
- Operation of a motor vehicle, (and current insurance
- Computer Software: (Word, Excel, etc.)
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $60,120.00 - $89,352.00 per year
* Dental insurance
* Health insurance
* Paid time off
* Vision insurance
* Day shift
* Monday to Friday
* Night shift
* Weekend availability
Ability to commute/relocate:
* Portland, OR: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before
starting work (Required)
* Do you have an interest or passion for non-profit work or
political organization work?
* Driver's License (Required)
Work Location: One location%58047475%
Keywords: SEIU Local 503, Salem , Union Organizer, Care Provider (Bilingual in Spanish Required), Other , Salem, Oregon
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!