Medical Social Worker-Pain Clinic
Posted on: November 25, 2022
Job Summary: The Pain Management Clinic social worker provides
biopsychosocial assessments and evidence-based health behavior
interventions to engage members in a chronic pain management plan
that incorporates active coping and skills. Pain Clinic social
worker services assist members to develop pain self-efficacy and
effectively utilize health plan and community resources. In
addition to providing individual and group services to members and
their support persons, social workers collaborate across
disciplines and roles within the Pain Clinic, with other
departments, and/or outside agencies to coordinate care to support
members optimal pain management and to contribute to resource
stewardship. The Pain Clinic social worker provides direct and
indirect patient care services in response to internal referrals,
message management or other sources as appropriate. - -Essential
- Provide individual biopsychosocial assessment and health
behavior interventions to support member engagement in a chronic
pain management plan that incorporates active coping skills.
- Health behavior approaches incorporated into these individual
appointments include: Pain Neuroscience Education, Cognitive
Behavioral Therapy (CBT), Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT),
Motivational Interviewing (MI), Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT),
Biofeedback, Clinical Hypnosis, Eye Movement Desensitization and
- Assess depression and suicide risk.
- Assist member to understand role of medication as chronic pain
management tool and assist member to understand safety practices
related to pain management medications.
- Guide member through Pain Clinic second opinion process.
- Facilitate Chronic Pain Management Group series
- Provide psychoeducation and skills practice to groups of adults
who have health condition of Chronic Pain.
- Incorporate Pain Neuroscience Education, Motivational
Interviewing, Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Acceptance and
Commitment Therapy, and Approaches to Relaxation Response.
- Participate in joint medical appointments with member, support
persons, physician and/or physician assistant.
- Cultivate member readiness to engage in multi-modal approach to
- Address co-occurring mental health conditions in context of
- Coordinate care to support members effective utilization of
- Support trauma informed approach to pain management.
- Contribute to de-escalation and clinic safety practices.
- Assist healthcare team to understand members beliefs,
behaviors, and challenges impacting pain management.
- Collaborate across disciplines and roles within Pain Clinic and
with other departments and/or outside agencies to generate superior
clinical and business performance
- Coordinate and facilitate care conferences.
- Performs other duties as assigned. Basic Qualifications:
- Minimum two (2) years of social work experience working in an
inpatient or outpatient medical, mental health, or addiction
medicine setting Education
- Masters degree in Social Work required. License, Certification,
- Licensed Clinical Social Worker (Oregon)
- Licensed Independent Clinical Social Worker (Washington) within
18 months of hire
- Basic Life Support within 3 months of hire
- National Provider Identifier required at hire Additional
- Knowledge of chronic health conditions and related issues.
- Consistently complete timely, accurate documentation using EMR
and according to organizational standards
- Ability to drive to a variety of locations and work variable
times of day
- Demonstrated effectiveness and experience leading member group
- Demonstrated ability to de-escalate highly charged and
emotional situations and use threat management practices
- Demonstrated ability to use trauma informed approaches to care
- Demonstrated knowledge of the role of medication management and
- Demonstrated ability to use Motivational Interviewing and
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy to support member health decisions and
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate across interdisciplinary
team: team includes physicians, physician assistant, psychologist,
nurses, medical assistants, schedulers, administrators, primary
care, rehabilitation services, mental health, and other
- Demonstrated ability to provide biopsychosocial assessment,
health behavior intervention, and care coordination to adult
members who have Chronic Pain and co-occurring medical and/or
mental health conditions
- Demonstrated ability to assess or identify substance abuse,
mental health condition, and/or cognitive dysfunction that may
impact members chronic pain management
- Demonstrated ability to assess suicide risk Preferred
- One (1) year of experience facilitating group appointment model
- One (1) year of recent experience in pain management or
directly related experience
- Demonstrated knowledge of the health condition of chronic pain
and multi-modal approach to chronic pain management.
- Training and experience providing ACT, Biofeedback, Clinical
Hypnosis, EMDR, DBT, and/or Trauma Informed CareJob Schedule: Job
Category: Behavioral Health, Social Services & Spiritual Care
Keywords: Kaiser, Salem , Medical Social Worker-Pain Clinic, Other , Salem, Oregon
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!