Sr or Principal Data Scientist*
Company: Freedom Financial
Posted on: February 25, 2021
*We are hiring Data Scientists at these levels:
Lead (Staff or Sr. Staff)
WHO WE ARE:*
Voted one of the Top 100 Fastest Growing Companies in the Bay Area
for 2020, Freedom Financial Network is a family of companies that
takes a people-first approach to financial services, using
technology to empower consumers to overcome debt and create a
brighter financial future. The company was founded in 2002 by Brad
Stroh and Andrew Housser on the belief that by staying committed to
helping people, you can ensure better financial outcomes for both
the customer and the business. This Heart/$ philosophy still guides
the vision of our growing company, which has helped millions of
people find solutions for their financial needs.
What began with 2 people in a spare bedroom has now rapidly
expanded to a vibrant business that employs over 2000 employees
(known internally as The Freedom Family) in two locations: San
Mateo, CA and Tempe, AZ. When you visit either of our offices,
you'll understand why our employees have voted us the Best Place to
Work for the last several years. It's a place where the Heart/$
philosophy continues to thrive, where we believe that success is
only achieved by doing what's right for our customers, our
employees, and our communities.
In order to create brighter futures for our clients, employees, and
businesses, Freedom Financial Network holds itself to four core
values that have grown out of our Heart + $ philosophy: to *care*
for everyone around us, *act with integrity* every time,
*collaborate* with everybody we work with, and *get better* at what
we do every day.
* THE OPPORTUNITY:*
The Sr. or Principal Data Scientist will be heavily involved in
executing data analysis and modeling tasks for Freedom Financial
Asset Management, the lending division of the Freedom Financial
Network. The overarching mandate for the Sr. or Principal Data
Scientist is to execute on analytic delivery and to develop new
analytic capabilities for the company's mortgage initiative. The
position will essentially be to partner with the mortgage division
to execute a new analytic vision. Additionally, he/she may
collaborate with other team members to assess and develop new
analytic opportunities. This role will provide the candidate
exposure and visibility into a strategic initiative for the
company, and as such, will be a high impact role within the
* THE ROLE:*
Some of the key responsibilities for the Analytic Scientist will
* Drive better understanding of FFN customers and prospects.
Optimize customer experience and FFN value proposition by
leveraging of GLM, supervised and unsupervised ML modeling
* Utilize your technical and analytical skills, while also gaining
in-depth exposure to business strategy.
* Act as consultant to cross functional teams, advise how to best
leverage predictive modeling and data in general.
* Design, build, optimize and maintain customer LTV / lifecycle
* Identify opportunities to apply data science solutions to improve
customer experience and FFN value proposition.
* Consult with business partners to develop data science strategy
to address and influence customer LTV.
* Analyze data, build models and assess their quality
* Design experiments and evaluate the results
* Monitor model performance and make recommendations
* Ad-hoc Statistical requests
* Communicating results and recommendations to senior
Identify and apply best practices and innovative solutions for
optimization of customer life cycle.
Skillset and Requirements:
* Expert knowledge of logistic regression, decision trees, survival
analysis, design of experiment and other statistical techniques
* Expert knowledge of supervised and unsupervised ML modeling
* Communicating clearly and concisely to individuals from various
* Influencing others in both verbal and written mediums
* Leverage data and advanced statistical and machine learning
techniques to develop comprehensive customer experience
Qualifications and Experience
* Masters or PhD in Statistics or similar quantitative field of
study (Math, Economics, Financial Engineering, Physics, Chemical
Engineering, Industrial Engineering, Operations Research, etc.)
* Hands on expertise in statistical modeling and analysis
* Experience with use of credit bureau data for statistical
* Experience working with relational databases
* Expert SAS/R/Python knowledge
* Experience with cloud-based modeling (AI) platforms
* 0 - 7+ years of total experience. Financial services or mortgage
experience, is not required, but is preferred.
* Demonstrated experience in statistical modeling and analysis.
Expert level skills in Python or R.
* Proficiency in qualitative and quantitative data analysis and
* Aptitude working with relational databases and manipulating data
from databases for statistical modeling.
* Familiarity with UNIX/LINUX environments and BASH/shell scripting
* Very strong analytical skills, combined with an ability to tie
analytic results to business implications.
* A can do attitude for problem solving.
* A keen eye to spot opportunities to automate and streamline
* High level of comfort working within the financial services
industry, as well as working within a rapidly growing environment
in which change is a constant.
* An ability to work independently with limited direction but with
the judgment to do so within appropriate limits of authority.
* Initiative to constructively, but passionately, challenge
existing analytic processes.
* CULTURAL FIT (Our Core Values): *
* *Care (for everyone): *We show compassion and contribute to the
well-being and growth of those around us. We only pursue products
that improve the financial lives of our clients.
* *Act with Integrity (every time): *We take the right action even
when it is hard and even when no one is watching. We treat our
employees, clients, and communities the way they wish to be
* *Get Better (every day): *We innovate, iterate, and improve each
day. We are creative, take thoughtful risks, and ultimately learn
and recover from failures.
* *COLLABORATE (with everybody): *We strive to work together toward
a common purpose by proactively sharing information and inviting
participation. We recognize the perspective of various groups and
embrace healthy, constructive debate.
* WHY JOIN THE FREEDOM FAMILY?*
* Fast, continued growth - there's a lot of opportunity for
* Voted a Best Place to Work multiple times by our employees, most
recently #1 in Phoenix for the 2nd year in a row!
* Benefits start within 30 days
* 401k with employer match
* 3 weeks' paid vacation (increased with tenure)
* 9 paid holidays & 5 sick days
* Paid time off for volunteer work and on your birthday
* This is your opportunity to be part of a growing company where
dedicated professionals strive to help customers and each other
succeed every day. If that sounds exciting to you, we want to talk
to you. Apply today!*
Attention Agencies & Search Firms: We do not accept unsolicited
candidate resumes or profiles. Please do not reach out to anyone
within Freedom Financial Network (FFN) to market your services or
candidates. All inquiries should be directed to Talent Acquisition
only. We reserve the right to hire any candidates sent unsolicited
and will not pay any fees without a contract signed by FFN's Talent
Acquisition leader. Thank you for your consideration.
Keywords: Freedom Financial, Salem , Sr or Principal Data Scientist*, Other , Salem, Oregon
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!