Registered Dietitian - Diabetes Educator
Company: Salem Health Hospitals & Clinics
Posted on: June 12, 2019
Your Team. Your Choice. Choose Salem Health. Salem Health does more
than provide high quality patient care. It is an organization that
commits itself to empowering teams to create, innovate, and dream.
We are looking for individuals who can challenge the status quo,
raise the bar, and embrace change. At Salem Health, we want
trailblazers, self-starters, and creative thinkers to drive
improvement in the health care arena where "patient-centered" is
more than just words.
The Registered Dietitian - Diabetes Educator is an integral member
of the outpatient team, works closely with providers, patients, and
patient family/caregivers to achieve patient satisfaction targets
and desired clinical quality outcomes. Core Functions
- Assesses nutritional status, dietary habits & relevant
medications of patients.
- Provides medical nutrition therapy appropriate to the age,
medical condition, learning ability, outcome goals, and needs of
the assigned outpatient population.
- Using available data, develops with the patient, a nutrition
plan and individualized goals. The plan is based on sound nutrition
principles and instructions that are presented in a clear manner
using appropriate media (audio visuals, written instructions,
models, posters, etc.) Referrals to other providers, program,
support group, etc. made where appropriate.
- Completes charting using Nutrition Care Process (NCP).
- Provides in-service education to medical, nursing, nutrition,
and/or other professional/technical staff of Salem Hospital when
requested or needed.
- Conducts orientation and training of new dietitians, dietetic
technicians, dietetic inters and other staff when requested or as
- Coordinates care of patients with other health care
- Leads and/or participates in LEAN quality improvement
- Provides operational supervision in patient services area.
- Demonstrates broad-based knowledge of all aspects of diabetes
management including the role of physical activity, clinical
monitoring, medication management, problem solving, coping and risk
- Utilizes the AADE7 Self-Care Behaviors framework to guide
patients along the health continuum for improved outcomes
- Coordinates care of patients with other health care providers
and involves patient family/caregivers in diabetes care when
- Bachelor's degree and course work meeting Academy of Nutrition
& Dietetic standards and completion of an approved
internship/training program required.
- Completed 15 Continuing Education hours in Diabetes
- Experience providing medical nutrition therapy in an acute care
hospital or facility preferred but not required.
- Minimum of two (2) years' experience with responsibility for
providing, managing, coordinating or supervising patient nutrition
care in an acute care hospital/facility, or closely related
- Registered Dietitian through the Commission on Dietetic
Registration (CDR) for the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.
- Licensed by the State of Oregon.
- Must be able to understand and be able to use the telephone
using good telephone etiquette.
- Computer skills - Word (experience preferred)
- Must be able to understand and use all clinical forms, clinical
reference materials and follow departmental policies and
- Must be able to work efficiently and responsibly in an
environment with multiple work demands and short time frames;
demonstrate creativity, a sense of humor, good interpersonal
communication skills, good time management skills, and the ability
to solve problems. Ability to work independently with limited
- Must be able to communicate effectively, verbally and in
writing, with staff, department managers, hospital administration
and other clientele as required.
- Must understand and prepare statistical material.
- Demonstrated ability to establish rapport with patients*Please
note - Salem Health pays based on experience
As a leader in the local industry, Salem Health offers a generous
total rewards package, an empowering culture, and a commitment to
the development and growth of our in-house talent. Our work is
grounded in respect for people and continuous improvement and we
invite you to partner with us to further our mission. Salem Health
is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will
receive consideration for employment without regard to race,
religion, color, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age,
national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other status or
condition protected by law.
Keywords: Salem Health Hospitals & Clinics, Salem , Registered Dietitian - Diabetes Educator, Healthcare , Salem, Oregon
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!