Histology Lab Supervisor
Company: KA Recruiting Inc.
Posted on: February 14, 2019
Tissue Fixation/Identification/Processing opening in Salem, Oregon. This and other histotechnician jobs brought to you by AlliedHealthJobCafe.com We are seeking a Histology Supervisor to join our team in Salem, Oregon!-This is a 1st shift/ Day time shift opening and will oversee about 4 Histology Techs + 1-2 Lab -HT ASCP Certified with Histology Lead or Supervisor experience-Full Time and permanent position offering competitive compensation and benefits package Job Summary:Supervises and coordinates activities of laboratory personnel engaged in preparing histologic slides from human tissue sections for microscopic examination and diagnosis by Pathologist.Essential Key Responsibilities:
- Supervises the daily operations of the histology department and personnel to ensure adherence to quality standards, deadlines, and established procedures.
- Assists the Manager in developing, implementing, revising, interpreting, and enforcing the Standard Operating Procedures (SOP's), company policies and procedures, and service standards.
- Advises Manager of problems and concerns in the department and laboratory.
- Complies data and prepares reports and may work on special assigned projects.
- Assists Manager with budgetary requirements for staffing, purchasing supplies, and procurement of equipment, financial report preparation, and monitoring and adhering to the departmental budget.
- Assists Manager in recruiting, interviewing, selecting, orienting, training, monitoring, evaluating, and supervising assigned personnel, delegates work activities, and recommends merit increases, promotions, transfers, and disciplinary actions.
- Attends required meetings and participates in committees as requested.
- Participates in professional development activities and maintains professional affiliations.
- Performs all necessary functions required of a Histology Technician including:
- Ensures compliance with all regulatory agencies.
- Coordinates the proper storage of hazardous materials and the laboratory safety program.
- Examines slides and/or blocks to ensure tissue preparation is meeting laboratory requirements.
- Performs and documents daily quality control and quality assurance measures,
- Prepares sections of human tissue for microscopic examination and patient diagnosis, using techniques to gross (dissect tissue), embed (orient specimen in paraffin block), section (cut thin sections of tissue), stain (enhance contrast of tissue and highlight specific features of interest with routine hematoxylin and eosin stains), and mount tissue (adhere tissue onto glass slides), from surgical procedures.
- Performs recuts and additional stains including special and immunohistochemistry stains, as requested by a Pathologist.
- Operates computerized laboratory equipment to fix, dehydrate, and infiltrate with wax, tissue specimens to be preserved for study by Pathologist. * Maintains strictest confidentiality.
- Complies with all State, Federal, professional regulations as well as company and departmental rules, polices, and procedural manuals.
- Adherence to CAP, CLIA, State Regulations, HIPAA, Safety and OSHA Regulations.
- Performs other duties as assigned.Education/Licensure/Certification:
- Associates Degree in the field of Laboratory Science or equivalent under the 1988 Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments (CLIA) guidelines of high complexity testing.
- State licensure, if applicable.
- Board of Certification (BOC) by the American Society of Clinical Pathologists (ASCP).*Experience:
- Minimum of five (5) years' experience as a Histology Technician or Histotechnologist and/or two (2) years' experience as a Histology Supervisor.*Requirements :
- Successful completion of a pre-employment visual color discrimination test.
- Successful completion of annual education units per state licensure and/or ASCP guidelines.*Equipment :
- Computers, computer programs, information system(s), scanners, forceps, rulers, tissue dyes, scalpel or razor blades, microtomes, cryostats, water baths, slide rack, tissue processors, drying ovens, automatic stainers, cover slippers, and personal protective equipment.Knowledge/Skills/Abilities:
- Knowledge of CLIA regulations regarding proficiency testing, quality assurance and quality control.
- Knowledge of clinical laboratory policies and procedures and laboratory standards to evaluate department and recommend improvement.
- Knowledge of laboratory equipment and testing to monitor quality control checks and determine needs and evaluate equipment for purchase.
- Knowledge of medical terminology to communicate with laboratory staff.
- Knowledge of safety requirements to provide instructions and recognize and correct hazardous conditions.
- Knowledge of English grammar, spelling, and punctuation.
- Knowledge of business methods including productivity/workload analysis and scheduling.
- Skill in performing a full range of laboratory tests and operating a variety of laboratory instrumentation and equipment.
- Skill in using computer programs and applications.
- Skill in personnel management and effective training sessions.
- Skill in appropriate collection/analysis//presentation of staffing, productivity, and cost data on a routine and special-project basis.
- Ability to analyze workload requirements and schedule personnel appropriately.
- Ability to listen, read, understand, and follow oral, and written instruction.
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely.
- Ability to identify and resolve problems.
- Ability to establish and maintain positive relationships with employees, physicians, vendors, clients, and external agencies JOB#: KC4624:
Keywords: KA Recruiting Inc., Salem , Histology Lab Supervisor, Healthcare , Salem, Oregon
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!