Company: Packaging Corporation of America
Posted on: January 16, 2022
Under direct supervision the Plant Accountant is responsible for
organizing and coordinating the general accounting activities for
the plant such as ensuring the day-to-day maintenance of a complete
and accurate general ledger, preparing basic financial reports, and
analyzing reports or variances. This individual is also responsible
for controlling changes to the chart of accounts, following up on
past due accounts and collections, maintaining all payroll related
records, maintaining all accounts payable related records, and
complying with all federal, state, local, and company/corporate
policies. PRINCIPLE ACCOUNTABILITIES:
- Prepares, examines, and analyzes accounting records, financial
statements, and other financial reports to assess accuracy,
completeness, and conformance to reporting and procedural
- Engages in general accounting activities including the accurate
and complete preparation, maintenance and reconciliation of general
ledger accounts and financial reports, such as balance sheets,
profit-loss statements, and capital expenditure reports.
- Analyzes business operations, trends, costs, revenues,
financial commitments, and obligations, to project future revenues
and expenses or to provide advice.
- Ensures accurate and timely monthly, quarterly and year end
close, including the preparation of estimates and accruals.
- Develops, maintains, and analyzes budgets, preparing periodic
reports that compare budgeted costs to actual costs.
- Controls changes to the chart of accounts, follow up on past
due accounts and collections, maintain all payroll related
- Conducts financial statement analysis to identify trends and
explanations for material variances and complete forecasting and
budgeting tasks as assigned.
- Resolves accounting discrepancies and irregularities.
- Follows up with departments on information requests, customer
credit issuance and collections, and transaction processing.
- Ensures accordance with legal, industry and business standards
of financial accounting and reporting.
- Completes the plant month-end financial close process in the
plant controller's absence.
- Guides, develops, and trains Accounting Associates including
assisting the plant controller in supervising the day-to-day
activities of the accounting associates.
- Knows and follows policies and procedures of the company,
shares information that would benefit other members of the team and
finds ways to improve the delivery of service to our
- Strives to continually strengthen PCA's business philosophy of
meeting needs and exceeding expectation for customers specifically
supporting PCA's Commitment to Service which involves doing what's
right for our customers, focusing on strategies that add value and
support growth, and keeping the promises that we make. BASIC
- Bachelor's Degree in accounting or finance.
- Seven (7+) years' previous work experience in a business office
/ accounting function with exposure to general ledger, payroll,
and/or accounts payable functions.
- Strong working knowledge of PC applications including Word,
Excel, and computer software that handles expense reports, accounts
payable, general ledger, check printing, or sales
- Must be authorized to work in the U.S PREFERRED
QUALIFICATIONS:Previous experience in the manufacturing sector,
containerboard and corrugated packaging industry. KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS
- Solid understanding and working knowledge of standard financial
/ accounting procedures required.
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to handle
detail-oriented tasks and review multiple documents and
- Above average written and verbal communication skills with the
ability to communicate to multiple audiences and purposes.
- The ability to network and build relationships with individuals
of various experience and corporate positions.
- Strong listening, evaluating and organizational skills.
- Previous experience working in a team environment preferred, or
a strong understanding of the importance of open communication and
information sharing among co-workers.
All qualified applicants must apply at Careers.packagingcorp.com to
PCA is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Veterans/Disabled and other
Keywords: Packaging Corporation of America, Salem , Accountant, Accounting, Auditing , Salem, Oregon
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!